Well it has been almost exactly a month since we started growing the “Alum” crystals, and about two weeks since we harvested the first one – now we have a complete first batch.  Looks like someone’s struck it rich with a pocket full of diamonds …

diamonds

Let’s go “macro” on the camera and add a little light …

crystal_closeup

It is interesting how many different shapes they are taking on.

We decided to continue the experiment and re-doubled the amount of solution in the beaker – then put all the original crystals back in as “seed crystals”.  See you near the end of October for what might be the end of the experiment.

 

IMG_1098

Rachel wanted to see what adding some color would do, so we mixed up some yellow-colored solution (which ended up looking an unfortunate shade of green) with a different chemical mixture.  These may develop more quickly, and more dramatically, we’ll let you know