Advice from Bill Gates is worth noting – full link / transcript below – here are the highlights.
- "Working knowledge of productivity software" – I'll buy that, word processing, spreadsheets, presentation, e-mail, etc. (yes I know that's what he sells)
- "Good background in math and science" – Of course 🙂
- "Communication skills" – Yes
- "Ability to work well with different types of people" – Important
- "Innovation requires the ability to collaborate and share ideas" – And creativity (the only surprise for me was he didn't mention creativity)
- "Passion for ongoing learning" – I like how he puts that one, you are never "done" learning
- "Curiosity about the world" – Nice. How do you encourage someone to be curious?
Not an exhaustive list, but sure reads like many of the questions we use for interviewing new team members.
BBC NEWS | Business | Bill Gates: The skills you need to succeed